Spell It.

Part 2 from yesterday is going to have to wait. I have to air out my mind.

I'm about to go on an angry rant? Idk, "fuck critics, you can kiss my whole asshole ... " ... you don't like that i say my president is black ... LIVE WITH IT.

Arielle wrote in my comments "that 'president is black' shit needs to stop my president is much more than a black man. im very proud of the fact that obama is president but lets not make this a race issue."

Wellllll ... -looks around- ...
I woke up this morning and turned on the television. I usually turn to ESPN or even JumpStart on VH1 in the morning. I reserve CNN for the evening since watching Anderson Cooper is my vice. This morning however I turned to CNN. Then to FOX News. Then to MSNBC.

There was tons of election coverage on tv. A little bit of weather. Less sports than usual. One thing I didn't see is this headline that we will never see in our lifetimes: Racism has ended.
Sorry Malcolm.

Let's not make race an issue? Shit. I WISH I didn't have to make race an issue. I WISH I wasn't aware of the setbacks afforded to the minority races. Ever since I left 5th grade, the days of race not being an issue were long gone. Whether I was the only black kid in my class for +80% of my classes from 6th grade to the day I graduated or walking with my white best friend at the mall and gathering stares, I was always aware that there was a difference in our culture between the majority and the minority.

I chastised my fellow African-Americans if they told me they were voting for Obama simply because he was black. If anyone reads this blog from post to post, they saw how earlier in the year I wasn't even going to vote since I wasn't sure exactly where he stood on the issues. As my knowledge grew, so did the strength of the choice I had picked in my head.

When it came to voting, race wasn't an issue. A solution to our energy problems was an issue. Needlessly spending $10 billion a month in Iraq was an issue. The economy was an issue. Getting our education to the level of countries around the world and higher again was an issue. My president being black? That wasn't an issue. It'd be wonderful, no doubt ... but I'd trade a good 4 years for a "novelty act". (Lol. Novelty act. My bad Obama. You're definitely far from that, I see now.)

But on this, November 5th? Well, for a FACT my next President is black. So I could have been simply stating a fact. But secondly, the fact that he IS black is big. Even I, someone who loves to play devil's advocate, sees that. I had friends in tears when he won. I was damn near close myself. I'm proud to say "my president is black".

As a black man in America, we have to work 2x as hard as the white man for anything. And in America, where racism still runs rampant ... a black man attaining the highest office this country offers is immense. It's inspiration. It's hope. They always say you can be anything you want to be when you grow up when you're young ... but until last night that statement wasn't true.

Saying "my president is black" is huge for some people. 60 years ago he wouldn't have been able to even RUN. You think he would have gotten this far? We (well not we, they ...) were being persecuted. Certainly not on the equal level that we are now. Crazy stuff that I have to admit I downplay so I won't seem like this rogue African-American obsessed with the past. I try to forget what transpired back then, and that's wrong.

So yes, I will say "my president is black". And I won't make race an issue, so don't misunderstand me. Just know that in America race is always an issue ... and finally it's an issue I can stand behind.
I only ask that you all don't expect Obama to fix everything. This man will be scrutinized like no other President before him, including Bush. He can't fix everything. Don't add lofty expectations to a job that's already immensely hard. He can though be the best President he can be, and I am sure he will be. He is human, and I understand that. He is not black Jesus lol. So to end this I say, good luck President-elect Obama. Nah, eff luck. Just do you my man.

13 comments:

stacey. said...

What I didn't appreciate, watching the coverage after he won, was how when he was running you were instructed to ignore his race, yet now that he's won it's African American this and African American that. Continue to ignore it I say.

Yes, he's Black .. but he's not just that.

the dumb flyest. said...

Yeah, and then you'll see "bi-racial" instead of black. I don't know, there's a lot of ways to define him it seems ...

but we are better off just defining him by what he accomplishes.

asexual girlbot said...

i feels ya on this eric. everything you said is completely on point. your right after i calmed down that obama had won. i thought about the fact that people are gonna want him to fix everything and he can't! no one can! i hope they give the man the space he need to do him and do it well!

Anonymous said...

This post is definitely on point. Everything you said in here I so agree with and respect.

Obama accomplished more than what we'd ever imagine.

And you're right, I don't expect him to fix every problem that arises out there, but I'm positive he'll do fine.

<333 Kudos to you on the real.

Adina Renée. said...

i appreciate this post.
the only thing i didn't like about the coverage was that people kept comparing him MLK & talking about his assassination.
bad vibes.

Afro Asian said...

was that an indirect shot at me??? because i'll take you down SON YOU SERIOUSLY DONT WANT IT WITH ME!. lol okay let's get it.

do you seriously think you're stating anything that's not already very obviously?

when i say my president is more than just a black man. I CLEARLY DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND SO LET ME HELP YOU TOO.

you stated all the measures that most commonly black minorities suffer but what about the others? it's just as hard for any person of color that's a minority in american to survive. most suffer worst than black americans. immigration showed it's ugly head in this election also. but i guess you can only see it as a "black win" thing. people supported obama because of his cause and leadership he made many believe who really never had hope. they gave their futures to man they believe will lead them to a better one.


you know just as well as anyone how much i struggle with my racial background and the discrimination i get with all of it. THERE IS JUST AS MUCH IGNORANCE IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY AS THERE IS IN THE WHITE ONE. SELF RACISM ALSO.

WHEN I SAY MY PRESIDENT IS MUCH MORE THAN A BLACK MAN KNOW THIS. HE'S AN INSPIRATION TO ANYONE OF ANY RACIAL BACKGROUND THAT HAS EVER DREAMED NO MATTER HOW MANY SETBACKS AND TIMES PEOPLE SAID HE WOULD NOT MAKE IT HE DID. HE EXCEEDED ALL EXCEPTIONS OF WHAT PEOPLE SAID COULD NEVER HAPPEN IT DID. HE'S PROOF TO EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES HE SYMBOLIZES CHANGE IN EVERY SINCE OF THE WORD. WHEN MLK SAID LET FREEDOM RING HE MEANT FOR ALL OF US NOT JUST THE BLACK PEOPLE FOR EVERYONE OF EVERY RACIAL WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ALL STAND TOGETHER AND EMBRACE EACH OTHER. WE WAITED FOR CHANGE AND NOW WE FINALLY GOT IT. SO IF ALL YOU CAN SEE IS THE COLOR THEN YOU'RE STILL BLIND. BECAUSE HE'S MUCH MORE THAN BLACK IT'S NOT GONNA CHANGE THE WAY AMERICANS VIEW YOU.IGNORANCE IS OLD BREED THATS STILL HERE THAT REFUSES TO DIE,WE CAN ONLY TAKE IT A STEP AT A TIME. BUT I BELIEVE HE WILL CHANGE AMERICA. AND NOT BECAUSE HE'S BLACK BECAUSE OF WHO HE IS.PERIOD AND THATS A FACT.

Anonymous said...

you know eric the so and so about w/e w/e is common in america ALTHOUGH STATISTICS SHOW THAT COWS RUN FASTER THAN BEARS WE CANT ALL GO TO A FARM AND THEN TO A FOREST AND RECORD THEIR RECORD TIME

Anonymous said...

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

- gone off life

Anonymous said...

amg nessa why the hell do you have to laugh at everything like it's always a joke with you! i can never take you seriously BUT YOU KNOW IT'S OKAY I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE MONKEY PROCESS OF ELIMINATION WITH A DECIMAL POINT AFTER 0.23 BECAUSE IT'S IN THE HUNDREDS PLACE OF MELROSE 90210 ON THE NEW CW!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You know, I can't help myself. BUT YOU ARE ONE FUNNY FLIP THAT I LOVE OH SO MUCH BOO. YOU KNOW I'M CRYING RIGHT NOW? YES GIRL!

Anonymous said...

BUT THE POWER OF GREYSKULL COMMANDS THEE TO TAKE A TRIP UP THE MOUNTAIN OF HOLYSHITISMS AND GUESS WHO STANDS AT THE PINNACLE OF THE BUTTFUCK FACTORY. IT IS I SHITMAN. THE ULTIMATE RESOURCE OF BARACKISMS IN THE OBAMANATION OF INDEPENDENT PARTYISMS. NIGGERS ARE THE SHIT.

the dumb flyest. said...

Arielle ...

All I can do is just smile ... because obviously you don't understand what I'm trying to say. Maybe that's my fault for not being concise.

If all I saw was color then you'd have a logical reason to cap me. But your zest for arguing with me just shows a side of ignorance that I can't even bare debating with.

Afro Asian said...

whether you want to acknowledge the fact or not when you say "my president is black" it's only perceived as that.

and trust me this is not a debate i've seen this statement several times from some of my closest friends i expressed my views on it just as i did with you. i hold no punches you know this. it's nothing personal