As soon as I heard the phone ring for a fourth time I pulled it away from my ear and pressed the little red button. There, I had called her and she didn’t answer. Now I could leave well enough alone and return to the woman who showered me with affection daily.
I opened the door to the apartment and saw Zoey sitting on the couch wearing one of my t-shirts and a pair of basketball shorts.
“God, this woman could look amazing in a potato sack,” I thought to myself.
There were things about Zoey I found myself thinking about constantly. Like the way that I literally lost a breath when I saw her. Or how she could beat me in a game of basketball on the PS3. Sometimes. Thoughts of how perfect her body looked wearing nothing but a smirk. How she crashed in on me getting Erin back in my
“Eric!”
“Huh?” I came back to Earth with Zoey in front of me looking as if I had just been ignoring her for the past three minutes.
“What’s going on with you, you’re being weird. Anyway, I wanted to know if you were up for a trip!”
“Uh, depends on where.” My voice dripped of excitement. Or not.
“London!” she exclaimed as her eyes got as big as her smile. “I just got a call, and I have a modeling gig there in a few days. You should come with me. It’ll be funnnnnnnn.”
The last time she told me we should go somewhere because it’d be fun I ended up in the corner of a hot air balloon, crying. Her idea of fun and mine were two different things but I figured I owed her so …
“Sure. You may have to go without me for a few days though; I do have a meeting with that tour coordinator on Wednesday. But, I’ll come if it’ll make you happy.”
“And you’ll go shopping with me?!”
“That,” I said, “Is something I won’t do.”
She smiled as she walked over to me and put her arms around my neck. The brim of my baseball cap was nudging her in the forehead as she looked at me, and kissed me. These were the moments that made me think life was going to be alright, if I could just not ruin it.
------
Mark grabbed a Pepsi out of the fridge and yelled out, “Damn, when are you going to get something besides Pepsi and Apple Cherry juice?”
“When you put in on my grocery fund,” I replied.
“Ha ha ha. Anyway, let me get this straight so Tim and I can fully understand what goes on in that big ass head of yours. You lied to Zoey about texting Erin. Then had guilty sex with Zoey. After having guilty sex you called Erin, and then you hung up on her and planned a vacation with Zoey.” He pretended to wipe sweat off of his eyebrow. “Whew, you had a busy fucking morning.”
“That’s what I’m saying,” Tim added in. “All that was missing was a visit from Erin and a spontaneous threesome.”
I almost regretted telling them the day’s events, but I had to. These were my boys!
“Well as lovely as that sounds, and it does sound like the best of both worlds, two worlds that you two know NOTHING about, none of it is relevant right now. Zoey and I are going to London.”
“Whoa, London? Are we invited?”
“Unfortunately, you two are invited. Zoey seems to like you two, I don’t know why. It’s kind of a work trip for her so she doesn’t want me to be completely alone. Yo Mark, what’s wrong? You not excited?”
Mark was staring at something on his phone. Clearly, there was something that was more important on the screen of his blackberry than the thought of British women. I couldn’t say I fully blamed him.
“Tim, did you forget?”
As Tim looked at Mark it was as if something clicked in his mind as his mouth made an “o” shape.
“Uhm, does someone want to clue me in?” I was beginning to get a little annoyed by this secret information that I apparently wasn’t privy to knowing. Mark just handed me his phone and turned his head.
“This.”
On the phone was a picture of Erin. Standing in front of The London Eye.
“We never told you but Erin moved to London for the summer. That’s where she’s recording her new album.”
I could only sigh. “Of course. Of fucking course.”
No comments:
Post a Comment