And
Okay, I'm done.
"When you care about someone you lie to them."
I lie. But 90% of the time, I don't. I would be lying if I said that I didn't lie, so I figured I would be truthful in stating that. House once said, "Truth begins in lies." Something like, to understand the truth, you must find out the lies that keep it hidden. How deep though are we willing to look? Furthermore, why are we so into other people's lives that we will go to great lengths to figure out their lives?
Imagine if I made a link. And that link took you to another link. This took you to a page where you had to answer 30 questions. A little bit of work you know. Now would you do that if it took you to a list of every shameful thing that I've done? Maybe a list that comprised of every secret that I have? You probably would. Don't lie ...
But back to the overall lying. We do it so effortless you know. We do it to keep the people around us happy. I admit, I lied to someone for a long time, pretending I was more of a friend than what I felt like. Again, with a House quote: "You lie to them. You pretend that their constant ponderous musings are interesting ..." Which is what I did. Probably what you all do when/if you praise my blog. ;)
Lies are necessary however good or bad you think they are! Everyone is entitled to a little bit of privacy. Imagine how terrible the world would be if nobody lied. Racism would jump back up. Non-attractive people would never take pictures. People would lose their jobs since they wouldn't ass-kiss.
I don't believe over half the stuff most people tell me. So I'm lying by making you think I believe you. But I do it for you? Because how would most of you feel if you knew that I knew you lied to me? Embarrassed maybe. Some probably wouldn't care. That's the balance in life. I'm trying to tip the balance though, and let some of you slide off of my scale.
House said there are several types of lies. "Lies of commission; lies of omission (what you don’t know won’t hurt you); white lies (also often to avoid hurting someone); rationalizations (lies to yourself)."
We should all stop lying to ourselves.
6 comments:
see i believe in honesty at all costs, and usually it ends up costing me friends. guess thats what it is to live the life of a stone cold samurai. but i watev, that just how i feel about things.
you actually brought me back to a statement that i had been rolling around in my mind for a long time. i'd gone into a binge of reading horoscopes and one said "Libras lie, but they don't pretend". at first it was like, wtf what's the difference. but then it became something i just thought about over and over. lying is easier than pretending, i think.
if we stopped lying to ourselves, life would be too easy. and sometimes we wouldn't be as determined. what's the line between lying to yourself and having a goal? if you're making all D's and C's and you say, "i'm gonna earn an A", is that a lie? or does the level of persistence in the person determine that?
lmao sorry, i damn blogged in your comments.
btw, HAI ERIC!
Lol @ me blogging about the Jonas Brothers being my new guilty pleasure. You rock Eric. Everyone likes that song, so don't feel homo. Even though the homos love it, a lot. :)
AND I'M SO EXCITED FOR MADAGASCAR 2! I'm taking my babies to go see it. We loved the first one.
I have this saying ... "I may not always tell the truth, but I draw the line at outright lying" I don't know if that makes sense to you but it makes sense to me. House is really deep though. So insightful. I probably wouldn't go to the link though. I don't think I should go through all that work to find out the truth, when I've done nothing not to have the truth handed to me.
Stone cold samurai eh? I like that. I like complete honesty too. I wish that I could practice that, but I think when I try to spare feelings, I lie. I'm stuck with this conscience that half of the time doesn't care if people get hurt and the other half won't tell the complete truth because I don't want to see anyone get hurt.
HAI NAIAIAIA!
you're so right though. life kind of would be too easy. we lie to set forth that imaginary line of achievment. we may know that we can't do something, but we lie to give ourselves that extra motivation. and who knows, it may be possible.
Stacey, I like that you said that. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people would go to it. A lot of people who don't know me though, outside of my blogs. I think people like to know everyone else's lies ... so they can base their own judgment on their own lies.
Well written.
1st time here, nice blog.
did you just quote House? As in the character from the tv show?
That's funny.
Post a Comment