All I could do was sit in a red, larger than normal sized love seat staring at her across the room. People enjoying the Christmas party walked in front of me so I was only able to catch glimpses of her. A smile here. A hair toss there. Occasionally she laughed and I wondered what she could be laughing at.

I hadn't told a joke.

Okay, I seem crazy here, I admit it. To everyone but myself I am crazy. You don't like people for five years. At some point that childhood crush fades and you discover a world of women willing to get drunk on cheap shots of vodka and practically asking to do things that their parents weren't paying $13,000 a year for.

By the time though I had told them about the economic effects of the U.S. debt to China they had sobered up and were looking for the nearest guy with liquor ... or the person farthest away from me. I didn't mind though. My eye was on the glimmer of angel I was peeking at.

Okay, it's less weird if I just call her by her name. Nila. She who succeeds and acquires. She who had just spilled her glass of wine. She who has just noticed me staring at her.

"Look away. Smile. Wave. Move. STOP STARING." My mind wasn't helping at all. It was like that friend who tried to help you at their favorite video game, yelling out 30 different combinations at once that you had no chance in pulling off.

Okay, one of them landed. "Get up and walk towards her."

By the time my brain realized what my body was doing I was standing in front of her.

"Hey Nila, umm ..."

No comments: